A famous study carried out in 2005 by organisational behaviour experts Philippe Baumard and William H Starbuck identified five common barriers that prevent organisations from learning:
- Learning is inconvenient because it’s seen as conflicting with other priorities, typically productivity.
- Learning is good but it’s time consuming and expensive in terms of cost and effort.
- Learning is risky and is an admission of being weak or inadequate.
- Learning is a threat against a person’s or leader’s own position.
- Learning goes against the values of the person or the organisation.
If barriers 4 and/or 5 above exist in an organisation, it’s unlikely their leaders will be reading this blog post! So, let’s focus on how you can resolve the first three issues and avoid being left behind in the push to adopt new technologies.Read more